Imposing wine estate on the outskirts of Avignon.
The history of the castle is fascinating: originally, in the 13th century, this simple fortified farmhouse was intended to provide shelter for pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela.
The Popes entrusted the management of the estate to the Carthusian monks. Several times destroyed and rebuilt, the castle became the property of the Counts of Felix in the 18th century, when it took on its present appearance.
The property of the Noël family since the end of the 1940’s, it was completely renovated between 1954 and 1960. Access to the property is provided by a magnificent avenue of century-old plane trees.
The chateau, with its 2 towers and crenellated walls, offers almost 700 m2 of living space with numerous living rooms and reception rooms. The chateau opens on to a beautiful central courtyard in a dominant position overlooking a wooded park of approximately 1 ha.
Situated at about 300 m from the castle, a house of contemporary construction offers around 250 m2 and overlooks a vast swimming pool of nearly 400 m2.
The farm buildings extend over approx. 900 m2 and include 4 staff apartments.
The winery has a capacity of 300 hl in concrete and stainless steel vats. The winery functions well in its current state but needs to be modernised. The vinification cellar is completed by a barrel-ageing cellar with a floor area of approximately 100 m2.
The vineyard is in one contiguous plot of about 40 ha, of which 34.5 ha are AOP Cotes du Rhone and 5.5 ha are IGP. The entire property is irrigable.
The entire vineyard is trellised, grassed every other row. The average harvest is around 2000 hl. About 85% of the vineyard is planted with black grape varieties (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre, Cinsaut, Merlot, Cabernet).
Currently, about 10 to 15,000 bottles are sold for export (75 percent) and in France (25 percent). The balance, about 1,900 hl, is sold in bulk to local traders.
Contract today to find out more.